List:       kde
Subject:    Re: GNOME Desktop Project
From:       Michael Roth <mroth () ohm ! arago ! de>
Date:       1997-08-19 20:30:49

On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, Rainer Bawidamann wrote:
> > Most of the non-GUI classes in Qt can be replaced from other libraries:
> > QString by the standard String class, the lists etc. by STL. I wonder
> > why Qt uses its own, maybe because they cannot use the free libg++ on
> > Unix ...
>
> As I understand it, many compilers can't handle STL.

Their are IMHO many problems with different STL implementations
and different C++ compilers and so on.
Today STL is very nice to use on one system and with one compiler.
If you would like to support more compilers and plattforms then problems
will occours. Problems are starting at the point of different include
files conflicts with other include files (gcc)  and end with different
template syntax (gcc) etc.

cu
          Michael