List:       kde
Subject:    Re: I miss a watch or hourglass cursor!
From:       Mike Kachline <kachline () medept17 ! coon ! gatech ! edu>
Date:       1997-08-19 17:51:57

	I have to concur that there needs to be *some* sort of way to
notify the user that the windowing system has acknowledged a request from
the user. Classic case in point. Imagine firing up netscape on a 486/66
with 16 megs of ram.... It takes a while. :)
	As I am sure we all know, Win 95 changes the root cursor from a
pointer, to a pointer and hourglass. Though this is effective, I think KDE
could do better. Mainly, add a "status" to the floating process bar
(I think it's called kpanel?). Ideally, each entry would have a mini-icon,
process name, then current status ("Starting..." or "Running..." or
whatnot). The important part being, that kpanel would have an entry for
the app *before* the user ever see's it pop up on the root window.
	Just an idea. I would write it myself, but, given that I just
d/l d Qt and KDE three days ago, I would like to read through what exists
now. I do thank the folks who have worked on KDE though, it's really a
great desktop!!!

								- Mike