List:       kde
Subject:    Re: GNOME Desktop Project
From:       Andi Kleen <ak () muc ! de>
Date:       1997-08-19 18:10:07

"Adam D. Moss" <adam@uunet.pipex.com> writes:
> If a FreeQT is what it takes, then so be it, I think that that is the
> most promising place to invest time, with benefits to the free
> software community which extend far beyond simply behoofing another
> desktop suite. (Personally I think that this is the best solution
> all-round, except for poor Arnt et al - I will expound upon that point
> if invited to.)
FreeQT could help to establish QT as some kind of standard (to replace
Motif). I think Troll would benefit in the long run from a free QT
reimplementation, because it would increase their market (commercial
developers would probably still use TrollQT with the commercial
licence). I doubt that they would lose many sales to it (especially
because commercial Qt will be superior in documentation for a long time).

-Andi