List:       jfs-discussion
Subject:    Re: [Jfs-discussion] HDD failed, jfs partition recovery
From:       Dave Kleikamp <shaggy () linux ! vnet ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2008-04-21 12:49:27

On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 20:24 +0200, Oink Metwok wrote:
> hi there,
>
> Today my WD Raptor decided to start dieing, which caused my PC to freeze
> up, resulting in a hard reset. After that my /boot and / (ext2 and ext3)
> were able to recover (fsck went OK, and i've been able to mount em for a
>
> short time), however my /home (being jfs) didn't.
>

> During the next boot BIOS told me that S.M.A.R.T has detected my hdd is
> as good as dead and i should get a new one  ;)
>

> I tried using jfs_fsck on 2 different livecds but failed :
>
> !!------------------jfs_fsck----------------------------------
>
> jfs_fsck version 1.1.12, 24-Aug-2007
> processing started: 4/19/2008 18.55.41
>
> The current device is:  /dev/sda4
> Open(...READ/WRITE EXCLUSIVE...) returned rc = 0
> Unable to read primary superblock.
> Secondary superblock is valid.
> The type of file system for the device is JFS.
> Block size in bytes:  4096
>
> Filesystem size in blocks:  7867833
> **Phase 0 - Replay Journal Log
> LOGREDO:  Allocating for ReDoPage:  (d) 4096 bytes
> LOGREDO:  Allocating for NoDoFile:  (d) 4096 bytes
> LOGREDO:  File system superblock has invalid log serial number.

Maybe caused by a media error.

> LOGREDO:  Error in volume (d) 0.
> LOGREDO:  Invalid log serial number.
> LOGREDO:  Initialization failed.  rc = -214   error num = 5
> logredo failed (rc=-214).  fsck continuing.
> **Phase 1 - Check Blocks, Files/Directories, and  Directory Entries
>
> Unrecoverable error reading M from /dev/sda4.  CANNOT CONTINUE.
> Fatal error (-10015,30) accessing the filesystem (1,570015744,16384,0).

fsck.jfs could be more robust, and this is probably an error that
wouldn't need to be unrecoverable.  You may lose part of the filesystem,
but it would be nice if it tried to recover what it could.  On the other
hand, I'm afraid if it did continue, in the state the volume is in, it
would only hit another unrecoverable error a little later.

> **** Filesystem was modified. ****
> processing terminated:  4/19/2008 18:57:15  with return code: -10015  exit code: 8.
>

> My dmesg and smarctl -a can be found here : http://pastebin.com/f678a6c2d

> I really hope someone will be able to help, as loosing my /home partition is quite troublesome...

Have you tried mounting it read-only?  mount -oro /home
jfs allows read-only mounts when the superblock is marked dirty, and you
may be able to recover something.

--
David Kleikamp
IBM Linux Technology Center