List:       ipcop-user
Subject:    [IPCop-user] Problem with upgrade to 2.1.5
From:       Brad Hards <bradh () frogmouth ! net>
Date:       2014-05-05 10:22:03

Hi,

Through a strange chain of events, I was in at an old workplace today when
they had a problem with an ipcop  upgrade to 2.1.5.

The box boots to the ipcop initial splash screen (grub selection) where
selection of any of the current or previous kernels says it can't find the
ipcopinitrd-3.4-2.img or ipcopintrd-3.4-1.img (depending on kernel) files. I
booted an old ubuntu disk in live mode, and the root partition is definitely
missing those files from /boot.

I also took the opportunity to grab the complete contents of the root and log
partitions onto a USB key.

In addition, the 3.4-1 modules look OK, but 3.4-2 doesn't have all the modules
I was expecting.

The box is a Dell server, H700 RAID controller. Its a fairly standard install
except for the xtiface extension.

I worked on some options, including installing ipcop 2.1.1 and 2.1.5 on
virtual machines, then restoring the initrd files. That got it a bit further
into the boot process, but it can't find the root partion. I don't have it in
front of me, but its something like
Waiting for /dev/disk/by-name/root   FAILED.

Presumably that is because the initrd doesn't have the right drivers.

At least I have a command prompt at this point though.

I don't recall having any trouble with the initial install, and previous
upgrades have (apparently) gone well.  We tried booting from both 2.1.1 and
2.1.5 isos, and neither of those could find the disk during install (so I don't
get to the screen shown in \
http://www.ipcop.org/2.0.0/en/install/html/booting-diskinstall.html but instead get a \
rescan / modprobe / cancel window). I tried  some guesses at modprobe (megaraid_sas, \
ahci) but not sure if any of that is  valid.

So the questions:
1. Is there a way to get an initrd that includes the right drivers from a
command prompt? Any suggestions for how?
2. If that isn't possible, is there a fast way to reinstall (e.g. copy
selected files or directories off the usb key to get back the original
settings)?
3. Is there a way to mount the raid logical disk from the rescue prompt and
somehow recover the "bootability"?

Naturally the pressure is on, so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Brad