List:       imagemagick-user
Subject:    [magick-users] Colour mapping and reduction
From:       Stephen Allewell <stephen () mirramar ! fsnet ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-06-24 20:45:19

I want to take an image, map the colours to a specific set of colours
and reduce the number of colours in the image to a specific number.  I
created a bmp file containing the palette of colours that I wanted to
use and have used the command:

convert -map palette.bmp -colors 50 image.png

I have also tried reversing the options, but the final image either
has colours that aren't in the specified palette or there are more
colours than I requested.

I have also tried doing the conversion in 2 passes, with the same
results.

Am I going about this the wrong way or are the options mutually
exclusive?

Thanks for any help

Steve