List:       gtk-app-devel
Subject:    XLib: unexpected async reply gnome_dialog Hell
From:       "Ian Frawley" <ifrawley () opaltelecom ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-05-28 9:32:09

Hi all

I have developed an application that talks to two other applications via =
XML. I have created a GUI using GTK+ to display the responses from the =
other apps and embedded a timer to send requests. The problem is I =
developed the app single threaded and then found out that it was too =
slow. So created a couple of threads to communicate with the other apps =
and update the screen. I then stuck all the GTK related stuff including =
gtk_main(); in a separate thread and all my widgets in a structure =
hidden in a namespace that is accessible to the entire app. In main() I =
then create all the threads and run em. (Forgive me if this sounds messy =
but I am still quite new to GTK+ and even newer to multi-threading =
stuff). Everything seems to run smoothly up until I try to create a =
message box from one of the threads responsible for messaging. This is =
when I get the XLib problem. I've tried using gdk_threads_enter() and =
leave and it hasn't made any difference. Anyone got any ideas??

Cheers

Ian Frawley
Software Development (INAP / CPS)
Opal Telecom