List:       getmail
Subject:    OT: Re: missing *.txt contents in 4.43.0
From:       Charles Cazabon <search-web-for-address () pyropus ! ca>
Date:       2013-08-31 4:29:55

Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
> > Ubuntu 5.10 I think it was -- to a new Debian Squeeze box
>
> Wait a moment.
>
> Ubuntu 5.10 is certainly from 2005 and ancient.
>
> But Debian squeeze is oldstable release and current stable release is
> wheezy.

It's wheezy, not squeeze.  I can never keep the Debian codenames straight;
they don't go in alphabetical order like Ubuntu's release names ;)

> I guess you do not like GNOME 3.4 :-)

Actually I don't like it, no.  Basically everything UI-wise that they changed
from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3 made Gnome significantly less usable for me.

I run a Gnome 2 desktop.  The wheezy box I'm referring to has no graphical
environment on it -- bash is good enough for me ;)

> I can tell you it will be better for jessie with GNOME 3.8.

I am unlikely to ever try Gnome 3 again after the absolutely miserable
experiences I had with it.  I tried to like it, I really did -- but it was
*such* a bad experience it made me not want to use a computer at all.  Not
good.  If Debian only offers Gnome 3 in their newer releases (I haven't
checked) I won't be using Debian for a desktop.

FWIW, Unity is even more atrocious than Gnome 3.  What the hell were Ubuntu
smoking, putting application menus at the top of the screen instead of in the
application window?  On my machine, that means having to move literally
*thousands* of pixels just to get from most of my app windows to the bloody
menus, and then thousands of pixels to get back, and I do that hundreds or
thousands of times a day.  On a piddly 4-5" phone screen where every window
you use is maximized, that might make sense, but not when I have eight
megapixels of desktop and upwards of 20 windows open in each workspace.  I
lasted less than 2 days in Unity before I gave up and returned to Gnome 2.

Charles