List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] alsamixer - no sound
From:       Jigme Datse <jigme.datse () datsemultimedia ! com>
Date:       2023-12-16 23:03:58

This is a MIME-formatted message.  If you see this text it means that your
E-mail software does not support MIME-formatted messages.

On Sat, 16 Dec 2023 13:19:30 -0700
thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:

> After recent upgrade I have no sound.

This seems like something that just happens, so that's not that
unusual.

> Running as root:  alsamixer
> XDG_RUNTIME_DIR (/run/user/1000) is not owned by us (uid 0), but by
> uid 1000! (This could e.g. happen if you try to connect to a non-root
> PulseAudio as a root user, over the native protocol. Don't do that.)

I'm sure you have an answer that says this, but this message says it
all, though maybe a bit obscurely...  The directory `/run/user/1000` is
not owned by the user ID `(uid 0)` but by `uid 1000`.  You are running
the command as uid 0, or root.  Which you acknowledge you're doing.  It
says the important thing at the end `Don't do that.`.

You need to run it as the user who is logged in to X (or Wayland).

> Does dir: /run/user/1000
> should be own by "root:root"  or user on the system?

This is a temporary directory which is created on login (I believe
that's when it gets created).  Don't change the ownership of it.  The
problem is the user you are running the command as, isn't correct.

> When I run:
> chown root:root /run/user/1000
>
> alsamixer
> ALSA lib
> /var/tmp/portage/media-plugins/alsa-plugins-1.2.7.1-r1/work/alsa-plugins-1.2.7.1/pulse/pulse.c:242:(pulse_connect)
>
> PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Access denied

Probably because your user 1000 is trying to access something that only
root can access.  But it's not entirely clear.  The changing ownership
of /run/user/1000 to root, will break *lots* of things.  Especially
don't do that.

> cannot open mixer: Connection refused

I hope you got this sorted.