List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] alsamixer - no sound
From:       thelma () sys-concept ! com
Date:       2023-12-16 23:16:17

On 12/16/23 16:03, Jigme Datse wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Dec 2023 13:19:30 -0700
> thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
>
> > After recent upgrade I have no sound.
>
> This seems like something that just happens, so that's not that
> unusual.
>
> > Running as root:  alsamixer
> > XDG_RUNTIME_DIR (/run/user/1000) is not owned by us (uid 0), but by
> > uid 1000! (This could e.g. happen if you try to connect to a non-root
> > PulseAudio as a root user, over the native protocol. Don't do that.)
>
> I'm sure you have an answer that says this, but this message says it
> all, though maybe a bit obscurely...  The directory `/run/user/1000` is
> not owned by the user ID `(uid 0)` but by `uid 1000`.  You are running
> the command as uid 0, or root.  Which you acknowledge you're doing.  It
> says the important thing at the end `Don't do that.`.
>
> You need to run it as the user who is logged in to X (or Wayland).
>
> > Does dir: /run/user/1000
> > should be own by "root:root"  or user on the system?
>
> This is a temporary directory which is created on login (I believe
> that's when it gets created).  Don't change the ownership of it.  The
> problem is the user you are running the command as, isn't correct.
>
> > When I run:
> > chown root:root /run/user/1000
> >
> > alsamixer
> > ALSA lib
> > /var/tmp/portage/media-plugins/alsa-plugins-1.2.7.1-r1/work/alsa-plugins-1.2.7.1/pulse/pulse.c:242:(pulse_connect)
> >
> > PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Access denied
>
> Probably because your user 1000 is trying to access something that only
> root can access.  But it's not entirely clear.  The changing ownership
> of /run/user/1000 to root, will break *lots* of things.  Especially
> don't do that.
>
> > cannot open mixer: Connection refused
>
> I hope you got this sorted.

Yes, I changed back
chown user:user /run/user/1000

I run:
chmod o+w /var/lib/alsa/asound.state

but still can not save setting, running "alsamixer" as user will
I can select correct sound card but pressing escape does not preserve the changes.

Besides in message log I see:

[pulseaudio] protocol-native.c: Denied access to client with invalid authentication \
data. pulseaudio[28829]: [autospawn] lock-autospawn.c: Cannot access autospawn lock.
pulseaudio[30032]: [autospawn] lock-autospawn.c: Cannot access autospawn lock.
pulseaudio[4497]: [pulseaudio] x11wrap.c: X11 I/O error handler called
pulseaudio[4497]: [pulseaudio] x11wrap.c: X11 I/O error exit handler called, \
preparing to tear down X11 modules