List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Highlight certain packages being upgraded
From:       John Blinka <john.blinka () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-07-08 10:38:17

On Sat, Jul 8, 2023 at 4:33 AM Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I was wondering.  Is there a way to highlight certain packages that are
> about to be upgraded?  Example, I like to know when some larger packages
> like Firefox, LOo, that excessively long qt package and a couple others
> are going to be upgraded.  Some that are listed in the world file show
> up in a darker green and are easier to see however, some are not. They
> are dependencies of another package but I'd like to have them stick out
> in the list of packages to be upgraded.  I don't recall ever seeing
> anyone mention this as a feature of emerge or heard of a way to
> configure such a thing either.  That said, it could be possible and just
> not well known.
>
> I'd like to be able to have those packages show up as red or something
> like that.  If it is possible.
>
> Thoughts?  Ever heard of such a thing?
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

How about first making a list of all files needing to be rebuilt with
something like

emerge -pDuNv @world > builds

Then make a file "long" containing names of demanding builds like firefox
and qtwebengine, one to a line.

Finally, execute

grep -f long builds

which will print the names of those long builds if they're due for
rebuilding or upgrading.

HTH

John Blinka