List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Highlight certain packages being upgraded
From:       Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-07-08 11:32:20

Dale,

On Saturday, 2023-07-08 03:33:30 -0500, you wrote:

> I was wondering.  Is there a way to highlight certain packages that are
> about to be upgraded?  Example, I like to know when some larger packages
> like Firefox, LOo, that excessively long qt package and a couple others
> are going to be upgraded.

I simply don't know  whether or not  build-time related  highlighting is
possible in native Portage.  I retrieve that information by some script-
ing,  which involves sending the output of "emerge --ask" to a log file,
and as soon as  "emerge" asks  whether to continue,  running a script in
another terminal window  which analyses  this log file  using "qlop" and
"gawk".

But to really ban  several buld-time hogs from my rig,  I added "-clang"
and "-llvm"  to my global USE flags,  added "dev-lang/rust" to directory
"package.mask/",  causing "dev-lang/rust-bin" to be used when necessary,
and besides happily replaced "www-client/firefox"  with its binary vari-
ant.  I also tried this with "app-office/libreoffice", but sadly its bi-
nary variant does not support exporting to PDF,  so I humbly returned to
"app-office/libreoffice" which here needs some three hours to build.  If
you don't need this feature, I would recommend using its binary version,
too.  Luckily, I don't have many "Qt" packages as dependencies, the lon-
gest build time of these is about 23 minutes here.

Sincerely,
  Rainer