List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    [gentoo-user] RE: "setting up interprocess communication" freeze withnvidia drivers? [SOLVED]
From:       jim <javastead () fastmail ! us>
Date:       2005-03-22 22:05:23

Daevid Vincent wrote:

> So Jani was right. I unmerged my 1.0.7167 drivers and installed the
> previous 6629 drivers. Changed NOTHING else. And now KDE 3.4 works as
> expected. So I just don't get it. Why the hell does KDE care what video
> card I'm using or driver? Gnome, XFCE, and twm all worked just fine with
> Xorg and the new drivers. LAME! This seems that KDE should be talking to X
> which talks to nvidia driver. Isn't that the whole point of the API?
>
> Guess I was bound to get bit by masked packages sooner or later. This one
> just seems silly though...

snip
> --
I don't think it is KDE that cares.  I think it is a function that KDE calls
that locks up the machine.  Just changing the splash screen from default to
standard will allow KDE to start with the problematic driver, as will
disabling RenderAccel.  I would guess that the default KDE splash screen is
calling some video driver function that RenderAccel allows, that doesn't
work right.
--
Jim