List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    [gentoo-user] Re: KDE 3.3.2 "setting up interprocess communication" freeze
From:       jim <javastead () fastmail ! us>
Date:       2005-03-22 21:58:48

Daevid Vincent wrote:

> I've 'emerge -Davu world' on two different machines (both with nVidia
> cards though) and both now freeze when I try to load KDE (which was
> working just fine). I don't know what changed. I can load gmome.
>
> Startx fires up and the mouse cursor responds to mouse movement, but all I
> see is a blue bar with white letters that say "setting up interprocess
> communication". It never goes away. I can't switch to any of the console
> screens. I can't even CTRL+BKSP and kill X. The only way to get out is to
> power down.
>
> I've tried to "rm -rf /tmp" and I also something about "rm -f ~/.ICE*" and
> "rm -f ~/.DCOP*".
>
> I'm trying this as 'root' too, so it shouldn't be a permission problem.
>
> I don't see anything strange in .xsession-errors, /var/log/messages or
> dmesg. Google doesn't really have anything useful that I've found. It
> seems to be related to some recent emerge update though because like I
> said, my Dell i8200 and my home server both illustrate this behavior.
> These are mixed ~x86 (mostly the ~x86 of KDE & Gnome parts).
>
> Anyone have any ideas. I haven't deleted the ~/.kde* dirs as I'd like to
> keep my settings!
>
> --
On my machine, it was an xorg / nvidia issue
If you have an nvidia card, and if you have the following in your xorg.conf
(or equivalent configuration file):
Option     "RenderAccel" "on"
comment the line and try KDE again.  It should work.
You can then change from the default splash screen to standard, and
re-enable RenderAccel.  KDE will start, but you may lock up your machine
later, when whatever function the default splash is calling gets called by
some other thing.
--
Jim