List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] how to prevent an update to a higher major version
From:       Christian Parpart <cparpart () surakware ! net>
Date:       2004-05-07 11:42:34

On Friday 07 May 2004 12:44 pm, Peter Eis wrote:
> Christian Parpart wrote:
> > On Friday 07 May 2004 12:06 pm, Peter Eis wrote:
> > >create a file  /etc/portage/package.mask and add the line:
> >
> > Sorry, but what did you do, that portage knows to watch at the (non
> > existend) /etc/portage/ directory for configuration files?
> > Or - what do I have to add where to let portage know?
>
> you don't have to to anything to portage.
> If a folder /etc/portage exists portage automagically scans for
> package.mask ... in this folder (like I learned from some mails in this
> list)
> Thus all you have to do is to create a folder /etc/portage and add the
> file package.mask with the desired entries.
> Don't know what other stuff you can add there, though.

This is great, but it doesn't seem to work though :(

sws root # cat /etc/portage/package.mask
>=net-www/apache-2
<=sys-apps/shadow-4

just two test entries. I've currently apache-2.0 installed, and shadow is
something I grabbed from `emerge -pu world`, that means, he shall update it
usually without the package.mask file above, but with this, it shall first
downgrad apache, and second, shouldn't update shadow. But it still looks, as
it would ignore my /etc/portage/package.mask. What's wrong?

However, what other files could I put in there?

I ask, because I always have to patch the >=linux-headers-2.6.0 so, that it
doesn't want to downgrade to any plain old 2.4.x headers...

Many thanks,
Christian Parpart.

> > Cheers,
> > Christian Parpart.
> >
> > >Peter

- --
 12:49:37 up 121 days, 22:16,  1 user,  load average: 2.54, 2.32, 1.80

["My OpenPGP key" (application/pgp-keys)]