List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] how to prevent an update to a higher major version
From:       Peter Eis <peter.eis () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-05-07 13:08:33

Christian Parpart wrote:

> On Friday 07 May 2004 12:44 pm, Peter Eis wrote:
>
> >Christian Parpart wrote:

> >>Sorry, but what did you do, that portage knows to watch at the (non
> >>existend) /etc/portage/ directory for configuration files?
> >>Or - what do I have to add where to let portage know?
>
> >you don't have to to anything to portage.
> >If a folder /etc/portage exists portage automagically scans for
> >package.mask ... in this folder (like I learned from some mails in this
> >list)
> >Thus all you have to do is to create a folder /etc/portage and add the
> >file package.mask with the desired entries.
> >Don't know what other stuff you can add there, though.
>

> This is great, but it doesn't seem to work though :(
>
> sws root # cat /etc/portage/package.mask
>
> >=net-www/apache-2
>
> <=sys-apps/shadow-4
>
> just two test entries. I've currently apache-2.0 installed, and shadow is
> something I grabbed from `emerge -pu world`, that means, he shall
> update it
> usually without the package.mask file above, but with this, it shall
> first
> downgrad apache, and second, shouldn't update shadow. But it still
> looks, as
> it would ignore my /etc/portage/package.mask. What's wrong?

Well, if I add '>=net-www/apache-2' to /etc/portage/package.mask and the
execute 'emerge -p apache' portage shows me that it would emerge
apache-1.3.29-r1 but it would not unmerge apache-2 itself. I guess you
would have to do this yourself.
Adding '<=sys-apps/shadow-4' would not prevent portage from updating it,
as the current version number is 4.x. If you want have shadow ignored at
all you would have to change it to 'sys-apps/shadow'

> However, what other files could I put in there?

check out 'man portage'
all options are listed there