List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Fw: [gentoo-user] Power down question
From:       "Jeff" <redstarchs () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2002-12-11 23:38:03

> > I have recently switched to Gentoo from xxx distro (why did I wait so
> > long??????).  Anyway, when shutting down the machine with the old
> > distro, after the system stopped, the machine would power down.

If xxx is Mandrake or I believe redhat then, I will assume you need to
compile apm not acpi support into the kernel.
ACPI is a newer standard, but APM is built by default into Mandrake's
kernel.

My machine wouldn't poweroff complety with Mandrake or Redhat.
My machine needs "system" under acpi selected to complety poweroff.

> > With my new Gentoo install, after the system is stopped, the machine
> > does not power down, it just sits there with "Power Down" displayed
> > requiring me to actually pull the plug to power down, hardly ideal.

Pressing the power button at this point should work, but still not as
convinent as the system shutting itself off.

> If your hardware is recent enough compile acpi-support into the kernel
> and emerge the acpi daemon (acpid). After that add the daemon to
> runlevel default (rc-update add acpid default). Now your machine should
> power down after shutdown.

I still believe Alan needs APM not ACPI.
BTW the ACPI daemon just captures the button press that's currently just
being dumped out in the /proc somewhere.
It enables you to press the power button to initiate the shutdown, but isn't
needed for complete poweroffs.