List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Power down question
From:       Evan Powers <powers.161 () osu ! edu>
Date:       2002-12-11 23:19:25

On Wednesday 11 December 2002 04:52 pm, Alan Nilsson wrote:
> on 12/11/02 1:45 PM, Peter Ruskin at aoyu93@dsl.pipex.com wrote:
> > On Wednesday 11 Dec 2002 20:19, Alan Nilsson wrote:
> > Instead of `shutdown`, use /sbin/poweroff.
[...]
> But out of intellectual curiosity now, would this also be the controlling
> factor why 'shutdown -h now' would power down the machine with one distro
> but not another?

If you read the man page for poweroff, you'll find that /sbin/poweroff merely
exec's "shutdown -h now" if it is run from the command line.

Conversely, the process which shutdown sets into motion eventually gets around
to calling poweroff itself.

So, in other words, using poweroff probably won't actually make your system
power off if shutdown doesn't do it, at least not on Gentoo.

The problem is in your kernel configuration.

Decide whether you are going to use APM or ACPI. Since my computer is based on
an Asus A7V motherboard, I have to use APM.

The kernel config that works for me is:

Processor type and features
        ->Symmetric multi-processing support = N
General setup
        ->Power Management support = Y
        ->Advanced Power Management BIOS support = Y
        ->Make CPU Idle calls when idle = Y

Back when I upgraded to Gentoo 1.4, the default config included with
gentoo-sources had SMP enabled by default. That may or may not still be true.
If you have SMP enabled in your kernel, you'll want to disable it: if you
read the help on "Processor type and features->Symmetric multi-processing
support" it tells you that "the APM code will be disabled if you say Y here".

If I remember correctly, it didn't work until I checked "Make CPU Idle calls
when idle", so I believe it's necessary.

Evan Powers