List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] GCC 3.1/3.2
From:       Terje Kvernes <terjekv () math ! uio ! no>
Date:       2002-07-28 17:26:51

Doug Goldstein <cardoe@gentoo.org> writes:

  [ ... ]

> 3.2 is labeled by GNU to be 100% multi-vender compliant with the C++
> ABI now. Which is the core prob with the new gcc releases. By
> skipping straight to 3.2 we'll avoid 2 problem transitions.. 1 from
> 2.95 to 3.1 and then from 3.1/3.1.1 to 3.2 instead we'll have 2.95
> to 3.2.

  that sounds like a very good idea.  although it leave people like me
  (with 3.1) in need of a --rebuild-tree.  oh well, I haven't tried
  that before.  ;-)

> As one of the gcc-3.1/gcc-3.2 Gentoo guys I support this plan (was
> one of the ones calling for it among the devs) and I'm working hard
> with all the other guys to send upstream patches to developers to
> make sure their applications are ready for the new gcc-3.2
> platform. (this will benefit all distros).

  great work!  it's great to see people putting in community work and
  not just thinking about their own little sphere.  *applause*

  and again, thanks!

--
Terje