List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] GCC 3.1/3.2
From:       Doug Goldstein <cardoe () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2002-07-28 13:25:09

Bart Verwilst wrote:

>On Sunday 28 July 2002 07:07, Matthew J. Turk wrote:
>|| Recently there's been some (exciting!) talk about moving to GCC 3.1 on the
>|| default around the middle of August...
>|| With the changes between 3.1 and 3.2, particularly (exclusively?) in the
>|| C++ ABI, is this going to help the situation?  Or are we currently
>|| following the "major" distros like RedHat and Mandrake to preserve compat
>|| across the spectrum of distributions?
>|| Just curious.  :)
>Well, we won't be using 3.1 as default, but we'll go to 3.2 straight away..
>Because 3.1 and 3.2 are incompatible again (hopefully for the last time..)

>|| mjt

3.2 is labeled by GNU to be 100% multi-vender compliant with the C++ ABI
now. Which is the core prob with the new gcc releases. By skipping
straight to 3.2 we'll avoid 2 problem transitions.. 1 from 2.95 to 3.1
and then from 3.1/3.1.1 to 3.2 instead we'll have 2.95 to 3.2. As one of
the gcc-3.1/gcc-3.2 Gentoo guys I support this plan (was one of the ones
calling for it among the devs) and I'm working hard with all the other
guys to send upstream patches to developers to make sure their
applications are ready for the new gcc-3.2 platform. (this will benefit
all distros).

--
Doug Goldstein
Developer (Laptops, WiFi, GCC-3.1)