List:       freetds
Subject:    Re: [freetds] problems configuring..
From:       Peter Harvey <pharvey () codebydesign ! com>
Date:       2003-02-26 14:13:35

> I check index and seem good.
> However I don't know sgml/docbook very  well... I'm not able to code
> such think, I can write some help but not sections and similar. I saw
> time ago a docbook split in parts. Is possible to split our doc?
>
> Perhaps is better:
>   Building
>     Common stuff (make sense?)
>     unixODBC
>     iODBC
>   Installing
>     by rpm, by source
>     odbcinst.ini (here or in configure?)
>   Configuring
>     File used, where...

The first part, under Building, makes sense to me. The "Common Stuff" is
probably the best place to cover general INI file stuff and then detail
special notes in unixODBC and iODBC sections.

>>>In theory more information should be coming back from ODBC. I have to
>>>wonder if the driver simply fails to return details or if the ODBC
>>>subsystem is losing it? Is the ODBC driver providing details?
>>
>>I know Freddy has been working on the error message subsystem.  We should
>>at least get connection failure messages out to the caller.  If you notice
>>something missing, I'll at least add it to the TODO.  I'm not so much
>>interested in ODBC 3.0 compliance (or whatever), but I do think it should
>>be possible to use our ODBC driver without joining the mailing list.
>>

> Error I return is "Client unable to establish connection". I can't be
> more specific cause tds_connect do not return any suitable information
> on type of error (just success or fail), so on fail I return above
> string and SQL_ERROR, on success I return SQL_SUCCESS...

So Driver Manager appears to be returning everything it has - this is
good from the point of view of the DM. Just would be better if driver
was able to return more details upon failed connect. But that would be a
perfect world :)

Peter