List:       freetds
Subject:    RE: [freetds] problems configuring..
From:       "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK () bernstein ! com>
Date:       2003-02-26 16:05:45

Hmm.  That suggests integrating the ODBC and RPM instructions into the main
Build and Install sections.  That's a good idea, because -- unlike Perl et.
al. -- the ODBC driver manager is part of those tasks.

Don't worry about SGML tags or English.  Say what you mean, organized how
you want.  I can mark it up later, but I can't write something I don't
understand.  Well, I *can*, but I'm not sure how useful it would be, as a
guide.

Of course, the more familiar you become with SGML, the easier it is for me,
but that will come over time as you gain experience.  No need to force the
issue.

> > > In theory more information should be coming back from ODBC.
>
> Error I return is "Client unable to establish connection". I can't be
> more specific cause tds_connect do not return any suitable information
> on type of error (just success or fail)

You may recall tds_connect() is due for an overhaul, by me.  I'm going to
split out:

1.  Reading the configuration files (local).
2.  Determining the server's ip address (DNS).
3.  Connecting to the port (network).
4.  Logging in (TDS).

I think, however, you already have some information you're not conveying.
If you failed at #4, there's a message from the server.  If you failed
before that, you have the servername, and its hostname and address.

So your messages could be:

	'FreeTDS:  Client unable to establish connection to "Servername" on
machine "hostname" at address "192.168.1.17" ', or

	'FreeTDS:  Login to server "Servername" failed for user "Username"
'.

Those would be helpful, I think.

<rant> I just got a message from my NT box: "The referenced account is
currently locked out and may not be logged on to."  What program?  What
account?  Logged on to ... where?  </rant>

--jkl

named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent
out such orders and/or instructions.