List:       freebsd-ports
Subject:    Re: CUPS on FreeBSD: what if printer is postscript?
From:       AlanE <alane () geeksrus ! net>
Date:       2003-02-01 6:04:51

On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 04:41:23PM +1100, Andrew Reilly wrote:
>Hi Alan, maintainer of the ports/print/cups port on FreeBSD,
>
>A bunch of other ports, like SAMBA, now require cups, and it seems like
>a cool and groovy thing, so OK.
>
>But whereas I wasn't actually having any problems with good old lpr/lpd
>and my postscript printer (a Lexmark Optra E312L), I can't find any CUPS
>do_nothing.ppd or GenericPS.ppd that I would expect to talk to a generic
>postscript printer.
>
>Any clues, or other fora where I might more profitably ask this
>question?

Use the PPD for Windows NT that came with the printer. It's NOT a do nothing
ppd. Or go to Adobe's site, where you can download PPD files also.

I have a PS printer, too, and I use the NT PPD and it works fine.

--
AlanE (Alan Eldridge)
Unix/C(++) IT Pro for 20 yrs, likes fixing weird distributed systems bugs.