List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Lower Prices and More NSA Testing
From:       pelicans () mindspring ! com (BeachCruiser)
Date:       1997-01-31 8:30:02

>>On the other hand, if your main (or only) criterion is cost, you
>>should forget about CyberGuard, because it is indeed at the high end
>>of the market (along with Sidewinder), and will run you at least
>>US$25,000 (including the OS and hardware platform).
>
>Sidewinder now sells for a LOT less than this but still includes its
>mandatory access control features. No, it's not NCSC B1, but it *has*
>gone through a number of independent certifications. Aside from the
>NCSA certification, NSA has finally released its own results from
>Sidewinder testing. They essentially identified what they thought were
>our security claims and then went through and tested everything they
>could. Their test report has been released and is on their web site
>http://mitten.ie.org:8000 along with one for Gauntlet.

Good points.  And two other things the user community should look for this
spring.  First are lower priced firewall offerings...and second, the
release of more test results as the X31 crew expands their commercial
firewall product evaluations.  Gauntlet and Sidewinder just happened to be
the first two on the bench.  Others are already in the queue.

Bob McKisson
Cypress Systems Corporation
Virginia Beach, VA 23451
(757) 425-4195  Voice
(757) 425-4196  FAX
(757) 442-0888  STU-III
pelicans@mindspring.com

I don't give them hell...I just give them the truth, and they think it's hell.

                                                - Harry Truman