List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: Question on MAC Address
From:       jonesmd () unifiedtech ! com (Mike Jones)
Date:       1997-01-31 8:28:09

Jet B. Bagadion writes...
> I'm using Firewall-1 v2.0 and I'm using a SBus Quad ethernet
> controller.  I noticed that when I use the command ifconfig -a ,  le0
> and the ethernet ports of the Quad controller have the same ethernet MAC
> addresses. Should it be really like that? How will I know the right MAC
> address of the ethernet ports?

Yes, it should be like that. It's just the way Suns work. They change
the MAC address of all Ethernet interfaces to be the same as the
"primary" interface (typically le0). It's OK, because MAC addresses only
really have to be unique on a per-segment basis for things to work, and
it keeps a 1-to-1 relationship between machines and MAC addresses.

	Mike Jones
	Sr. Network Computing Advisor
	UNIFIED Technologies