List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: Lower Prices and More NSA Testing
From:       Matthew Patton <patton () sysnet ! net>
Date:       1997-02-01 18:12:53

>release of more test results as the X31 crew expands their commercial
>firewall product evaluations.  Gauntlet and Sidewinder just happened to be
>the first two on the bench.  Others are already in the queue.

But has anybody read them?  I just finished the TIS one and I'm VERY
nonplussed.  What's the value added of the X31's efforts?  There's no new
insight, and it was hardly what I'd consider rigorous.  Indeed their
testing basically boiled down to confirming that the firewall obeyed
protocol conventions.  So what?  The trade rags do similar testing.
There are an incredible number of TIS sites out there and if the features
didn't work as advertised we've have known a LONG time ago.  I'll read
the sidewinder one next and I'm prepared to be yet again disappointed at
the coverage.