List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: USB 4 - usb4net - do we have it yet?
From:       "T.C. Hollingsworth" <tchollingsworth () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-12-24 23:15:49

On Fri, Dec 23, 2022 at 3:18 AM lejeczek via users
<users@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> There have been a number of newest AMD Ryzen systems (not just laptops) with USB 4 \
> available and I wonder.... Has anybody tried hooking up two hosts together in order \
> to get network over such connection? From what I read - I think these come from \
> Windowze consumers - connecting two (or perhaps more) hosts via usb4 automatically \
> creates "traditional" network connection.
> Now, automatically or not - do we have that in Linux/kernel/Fedora too?

From https://docs.kernel.org/admin-guide/thunderbolt.html#networking-over-thunderbolt-cable
 :

USB4 is the public specification based on Thunderbolt 3 protocol with
some differences at the register level among other things.

Thunderbolt technology allows software communication between two hosts
connected by a Thunderbolt cable.

It is possible to tunnel any kind of traffic over a Thunderbolt link
but currently we only support Apple ThunderboltIP protocol.

If the other host is running Windows or macOS, the only thing you need
to do is to connect a Thunderbolt cable between the two hosts; the
thunderbolt-net driver is loaded automatically. If the other host is
also Linux you should load thunderbolt-net manually on one host (it
does not matter which one):

# modprobe thunderbolt-net

This triggers module load on the other host automatically. If the
driver is built-in to the kernel image, there is no need to do
anything.

The driver will create one virtual ethernet interface per Thunderbolt
port which are named like thunderbolt0 and so on. From this point you
can either use standard userspace tools like ifconfig to configure the
interface or let your GUI handle it automatically.