List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Proposal: drop delta rpms (for real this time)
From:       drago01 <drago01 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-02-24 17:38:21

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Wednesday, February 22, 2023, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 22, 2023 at 06:18:23AM -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 3:48 PM Matthew Miller <mattdm@fedoraproject.org>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > I was asked to weigh in on https://pagure.io/releng/issue/7215 as a
> > > priority. Last time we talked about this we didn't really get
> anywhere...
> > >
> > > https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.
> fedoraproject.org/thread/JYKVELSBJQMEK6KEFXG354ZDZDDX4C5G/#
> RLEUYSWOUVUS53YAP7WQQNN7HNEBIC4E
> > >
> > > ... and that ticket hasn't moved, because fixing it isn't trivial.
> > >

> > > What we're doing now — as has been the case for several years, already
> noted
> > > in the previous discussion — has very little end-user value. Also as
> noted
> > > in that thread (as in the ticket)... that's unfortunate, because it did
> > > bring some real benefits (and could possibly do even more.)
> > >

> > Our tooling has been broken for a long time and contributions to that
> > tooling is just not going to happen since nobody can run this stuff
> > outside of Fedora infrastructure. It's a sad state of affairs indeed.
>
> It's not "broken" just because it doesn't do what you would like it to
> do. Please can we not disparage other peoples work?

Well everything is someone's work. Being that defensive makes discussion on
improving things unnecessary hard. I doubt people mean this comments as
personal attacks on the people who did this work.

Back on topic: using fedora without having an adequate internet connection
is not really "fun" even with delta roms due to the amount and frequency of
updates. From that pov the can go if the costs of keeping them is not
justified.