List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Fedora minimum hardware requirements
From:       Michal Schorm <mschorm () redhat ! com>
Date:       2021-10-15 2:13:34

Thinking about this more, I always get to a question:
"Who are the consumers of that information and what do they actually
use it for?"

My personal idea is that the _ recommended _ requirements (of any OS)
are seeked by people that
1/ are going to install the system on some hardware on which that OS
wasn't previously present
2/ are looking up values with which they expect fluent, smooth,
experience both today and few year into the future
3/ _ want _ to install that OS, but have to purchase the HW yet, so
they are looking at recommendations on what HW to buy

The _ recommended _ HW requirements could be reviewed periodically
also based on the current market offering.
The market surely can differ through the world, as well as the average
purchase power.
However I wouldn't recommend anyone to e.g. go with less than 8GB of
RAM today, when considering what new HW to buy or what HW to use for a
setup intended to be used for years.
Perhaps, we - as a community - might be able to gather our
expectations and make some average for those values?

The _ minimal _ requirements on the other hand are IMO seeked by an
entirely different group of people that
1/ are looking up the minimal requirements on recent HW for e.g. IOT
edition, or other use-cases in which you need to get the most of a not
really powerful but recent HW
2/ are looking up whether some HW from a XYZ years or decades ago
could run the Fedora Linux

I understand it may be hard to check whether the HW meets the pure
technical limitations.
Though if we know how to do that, we may automate that and prepare
some package, some script purely for the purpose of this check. We
would also need to think about where to put it - the server edition
maybe, or the net installer, or could we patch the GRUB2 itself with
it, providing a custom call which could be selected as a separate boot
entry in all the bootable media we provide ?

What do you folks think - does the idea of defining the values based
on the use cases of people that are _  actually likely to seek those
values _ make sense as I tried to explain it?

--

Michal Schorm
Software Engineer