List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Fedora minimum hardware requirements
From:       Peter Boy <pboy () uni-bremen ! de>
Date:       2021-10-14 22:30:34

> Am 14.10.2021 um 17:24 schrieb Michal Schorm <mschorm@redhat.com>:
>
> Sigh, it is useless to search for Fedora documentation on google ...
> anything but _current_ Docs will be found.

Welcome to the club. This has been a nuisance for a long time. I have made several \
attempts, but so far without response.

> Both of that goes to a question - how are those values decided in the
> first place ?
>
> To target the Workstation edition regarding those values seems OK.
> However it seems to be far from the minimal requirements for a
> headless server, which is surely fine with less than 5GB of disk
> space.

A default installation of Fedora Server Edition occupies about 2.2 GiB of storage and \
consumes 505 MiB of Ram. An absolute minimum might be 2 G RAM and 5 G storage and \
additional RAM and storage depending on usage. To make some realistic recommendations \
you need "rules of thumb" on specific use cases. What storage and RAM do you need for \
PostgreSQL managing x.y GiB data? And what processor power do you need to achieve a \
„reasonable" performance? Off the top of my head, I don't know any justifiable \
values.

I can't imagine  that justifiable statements about hardware requirements are possible \
(beyond absolute minimums purely for the system). \