List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: F34 Change proposal: Wayland by Default for KDE Plasma Desktop (System-Wide Change)
From:       Ondrej Mosnacek <omosnace () redhat ! com>
Date:       2020-09-21 11:10:38

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 12:22 PM Pavel Raiskup <praiskup@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, September 10, 2020 6:00:09 PM CEST Ondrej Mosnacek wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 12:58 PM Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Might be interesting to try logging in as a new user to see if some older kde \
> > > settings are messing things up.
> >
> > That's definitely possible... However this is a single-user machine
> > and I don't really feel like creating a new user :)
> >
> > If I find some time I'll try it on my other laptop and/or dig deeper...
>
> Ondrej, what Fedora version are you on?  The change claims:
>
> With KDE Plasma 5.20, the KDE Plasma desktop environment has reached a
> point where nearly all commonly used features in the desktop and all
> major applications function in the Plasma Wayland environment on all
> major GPUs (including NVIDIA with the proprietary driver).
>
> I'd consider a move to F34 just to test early, but even F34 still seems to
> have 5.19.90.

I was trying it on F32. I was ready to see various annoyances, since
the proposal says that a lot of issues will be only fixed in F34, but
I hoped that in F32 the desktop will at least look normal when I log
in :)

> The change says:
>
> How To Test
> ===========
> Log into a KDE Plasma desktop. Do any activity you would normally do in
> your daily desktop use: launching applications, configuring displays,
> etc. Things should work the same way under Wayland as they used to
> under X.
>
> Even a simple link to step-by-step howto would help.  How much sense does
> it have to test F32/F33?

Probably not much :) I was just curious to see how good/bad the
situation is currently on F32. From the optimistic wording in the
change request I imagined that most things already work and the latest
releases only fix some final annoyances... but maybe this is more true
about F33 than F32, or I just have some weirdness in my existing
configuration...

--
Ondrej Mosnacek
Software Engineer, Platform Security - SELinux kernel