List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: F34 Change proposal: Wayland by Default for KDE Plasma Desktop (System-Wide Change)
From:       Neal Gompa <ngompa13 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2020-09-21 11:19:52

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 7:11 AM Ondrej Mosnacek <omosnace@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 12:22 PM Pavel Raiskup <praiskup@redhat.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > That's definitely possible... However this is a single-user machine
> > > and I don't really feel like creating a new user :)
> > >
> > > If I find some time I'll try it on my other laptop and/or dig deeper...
> >
> > Ondrej, what Fedora version are you on?  The change claims:
> >
> > With KDE Plasma 5.20, the KDE Plasma desktop environment has reached a
> > point where nearly all commonly used features in the desktop and all
> > major applications function in the Plasma Wayland environment on all
> > major GPUs (including NVIDIA with the proprietary driver).
> >
> > I'd consider a move to F34 just to test early, but even F34 still seems to
> > have 5.19.90.
>
> I was trying it on F32. I was ready to see various annoyances, since
> the proposal says that a lot of issues will be only fixed in F34, but
> I hoped that in F32 the desktop will at least look normal when I log
> in :)
>

> > The change says:
> >
> > How To Test
> > ===========
> > Log into a KDE Plasma desktop. Do any activity you would normally do in
> > your daily desktop use: launching applications, configuring displays,
> > etc. Things should work the same way under Wayland as they used to
> > under X.
> >
> > Even a simple link to step-by-step howto would help.  How much sense does
> > it have to test F32/F33?
>
> Probably not much :) I was just curious to see how good/bad the
> situation is currently on F32. From the optimistic wording in the
> change request I imagined that most things already work and the latest
> releases only fix some final annoyances... but maybe this is more true
> about F33 than F32, or I just have some weirdness in my existing
> configuration...

I'm personally running Plasma Wayland on a couple of computers now on
Plasma 5.18 on Fedora 32. To do so, all you need to do is install
"plasma-workspace-wayland" and select the "Plasma (Wayland) (Wayland)
(Wayland)" session (yes really, the text is fixed with Plasma 5.19)
from the SDDM drop down.

You'll be missing all the remaining "basic" features implemented into
kwin-wayland like middle click paste and screencasting support, but
those will become available with Plasma 5.20. KDE upstream has a
specific "goal" to get Wayland support to first-class status:
https://community.kde.org/Goals/Wayland

My desire is to activate it as default in Rawhide as soon as possible
and start working with KDE upstream to hammer things out throughout
the entire development cycle for Fedora 34. We will probably wind up
shipping Plasma 5.21 or Plasma 5.22 for Fedora 34 GA, and getting
testing and such going as early as possible will help get the actual
target release for Fedora 34 in good shape for Plasma Wayland.

But of course, if by the time we get to beta freeze and it's too
buggy, we'll flip the default back to Xorg while shipping both as
options on the media and try again for Fedora 35.