List:       dri-devel
Subject:    Re: DRM Build failure: 4 level page tables != 2.6.10
From:       Jesse Barnes <jbarnes () sgi ! com>
Date:       2005-01-09 19:21:17

On Saturday, January 08, 2005 4:13 pm, Dave Airlie wrote:
> > The 4 level code is already in Linus bk which also has the 2.6.10
> > kernel version. I don't see a good fix for this. I'll complain on
> > lkml.
>
> I usually fix this by not supporting Linus trees in CVS until they are
> released :-), also why I don't put -mm patches in either.... it's too much
> hassle, really Linus should up the version number after releasing it ....

Yeah, he really should for lots of reasons.  But OTOH, how many people use DRM
CVS vs. what's upstream in the kernel?  Do distros generally ship the CVS
version or whatever is in their kernel when they freeze on a particular
release?  If the latter, then maybe it makes sense to tie Linux DRM
development more closely to the Linux kernel release process?  E.g. have a BK
or CVS tree that akpm could add to -mm for regular testing and maybe get rid
of compatibility with older kernels in the latest DRM CVS?

Jesse