List:       crux
Subject:    Re: Pre interface dameons
From:       Erlend Bergsås Mikkelsen <howl () online ! no>
Date:       2002-08-01 10:23:41

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 05:02:17 +0200
Florian Weber <Florian.Weber@pfaffenhofen.de> wrote:

> On Wednesday 31 July 2002 21:21, Erlend Bergsås Mikkelsen wrote:
> > It should be possible to run daemons before the interfaces are initiated,
> > and close them after the interfaces are shut down.
> >
> > This would be very nice for people getting dynamic IPs, and for
> > people using the pcmciatools
>
> Nice: perhaps. Neccessary: not at all.
> Consider that pcmcia has it's own config files e.g. for network in
> /etc/pcmcia/network.opts. My setup (pcmcia, dhcp), which boots just like
> you'd expect, is as follows:

Let's say you want to configure the interfaces yourself, what do you do?
I don't see the point of making scripts for configuring the interfaces when
this has aldready been done.

I use dhcpcd on all my computers, and I also configure the interfaces on all my computers.
So I figure more people might have this same need, and also don't see the need for
creating loads of useless scripts, when this has basically been done for us already.

> - - Laptop with only a pcmcia ethernet card (no onboard stuff)
> - - Port for dhcpcd is installed.
>
> /etc/rc.conf:
> IFCONFIG_UP=("lo 127.0.0.1")
> IFCONFIG_DOWN=("lo down")
> ROUTE=("")
> DAEMONS=(pcmcia OTHER CRUX DAEMONS)
>
> /etc/pcmcia/network.opts:
> case "$ADDRESS" in
> *,*,*,*)          # <--- select different pcmcia cards / network channels here
>     INFO="Generic DHCP base setup"
>     DHCP="y"
>     # all other options empty or off
>     # you might also set hardcoded IP parameters here
>    ;;
> esac
>
> With the last file, pcmcia-cs will call either /sbin/dhcpcd, /sbin/dhclient or
> /sbin/pump. For me, this automagically translates into a call to
> "/sbin/dhcpcd -h HOSTNAME eth0" that will even update dynamic DNS with the
> correct hostname :-)
>
> The only thing it won't do is stop the dhcp daemon on card ejection. But it
> won't start it twice either upon reinsertion, so that's fine.
>
> > [pcmcia]
> > (which by the way should be added to the
> > opt repository considering it's a pain transfering these tools to the
> > laptop if one don't have network).
>
> Plus: pcmcia is a basic item for just about every laptop out there.
>
> I second this motion once a solution to the "changing files" problem
> (discussed elsewhere on this list) has been agreed on.

What do you mean? I've not been around for more than a couple of months, and
i've not been on the mailinglist all this time, so I'm not sure what you refer to

Thanks for the quick reply,
Erlend