List:       crux
Subject:    Re: Pre interface dameons
From:       Erlend Bergsås Mikkelsen <howl () online ! no>
Date:       2002-08-01 21:23:18

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 13:54:05 +0200
Florian Weber <Florian.Weber@pfaffenhofen.de> wrote:

> On Thursday 01 August 2002 12:23, Erlend Bergsås Mikkelsen wrote:
>
> > Let's say you want to configure the interfaces yourself, what do you do?
>
> You have full control over ifconfig already (is there anything else you
> need?). That means that you'd need the pre-interface-scripts for two uses:
> - - scripts(daemons) that are needed before an interface can be ifconfig'ed
> - - scripts(daemons) that must be run before any interface is up

No I don't have full control of the ifconfig already. If I need to setup several
IPs for one interface, it all will be 'erased' when running dhcpcd.

> For the second one, I can not come up with software that absolutely *requires*
> this.
> For the first, there are a very few instances (pcmcia does not count, see
> below) where this is really neccessary (e.g. some instances of ham radio,
> tunnels). As far as I can see - and I admit I'm probably shortsighted - all
> of these require their own IP setup anyway instead of going through ifconfig.
> That means that you might as well configure them in their own startup
> scripts.
>
> Don't get me wrong: I'm not against your idea because it's a misfeature (which
> it is not) or because it's hard to implement, but because I can't see a need
> for it apart from hiding the system's inner workings.
>
> > I don't see the point of making scripts for configuring the interfaces when
> > this has aldready been done.
>
> The network.opts (and serial.opts and so on) is already an integral part of
> pcmcia-cs. So why not configure a certain hardware (pcmcia network card) with
> the config file that this hardware's driver uses?

Why have network configuration several places when there already is a place to configure it.
It's much more of a hazzle to have some configuration of the network in 'network.opts', and
some in rc.conf. Much easier to configurate and read the configuration if it's all in one place.

> > I use dhcpcd on all my computers, and I also configure the interfaces on
> > all my computers. So I figure more people might have this same need, and
> > also don't see the need for creating loads of useless scripts, when this
> > has basically been done for us already.
>
> See above - the script (or rather: config file) is already there, so why not
> use it? Just for the sake of hiding the system's real complexity?

The script is for pcmcia-cs tools, pcmcia-cs is only one of many reasons for adding this feature.