List:       crux
Subject:    Re: wishlist
From:       Martin Opel <opel () rfhs8012 ! fh-regensburg ! de>
Date:       2002-07-02 8:09:01

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Daniel Mueller wrote:

[snip]
> 4.)
>
> On 01 Jul 2002 23:45:57 +1000
> Colin Tree <coltree@tpg.com.au> wrote:
>
> > My /dev/sound/* are all in the audio group
> > my group file includes audio, dialout and others.
> > I use the dev-state feature to save ownership and
> > permissions.
>
> You said you have a group called audio and a group dialout. I guess the
> most cruxer have them too. Why not add these groups ? I think nobody
> really cares about how many default groups are installed. (Okay.. the
> SuSE way is a little bit heavy ;)
[snip]

I have a similar problem, which would be solved by taking these groups
into the system files passwd/group:

I have the user database distributed
over NIS and when devfsd is started, he does not know the groups audio/...
because NIS does not run at this time. So I must restart devfsd in
rc.local after the system is in networked mode. If these groups were in
each crux system, my problem is solved!

My two suggestions:

- Some groups for hardware ressources: audio, scanner, cdburner,...
- Some accounts for network daemons: bind, www, ssh, ...

- Martin

--
     martin opel <martin.opel@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
       fachhochschule regensburg, fachbereich informatik