List:       crux
Subject:    Re: wishlist
From:       Victor <victord () paid ! com>
Date:       2002-07-10 19:46:03

> Hi all,
>
> I'm using crux a long time now. After hundreds ;) of installations I
> found some issues. Here is my wishlist for the next crux release:
>
> 1.)
>
> New file: /etc/rc.boot
>
> Must run before rc.multi.
>
> Why ?
> - Load pcmcia cardmanager for network support (important for the network
>   initialization)
> - Load third party kernel modules (e.g. Nvidia driver)
> - Load usbmanager (keyboard, mouse, usb-storage devices, ..)
> - Mount encrypted filesystems and/or special external storage devices

I am curious, what encrypted FS do you use? Do you have a link? Are these
files mounted as fs using a key supplied during boot?

> /etc/passwd
> /etc/group
>
> I think it would be a good idea to add more (well known) user in
> /etc/passwd respective /etc/group.
>
> /etc/passwd
>
> httpd (www, wwwuser, ..) - Webservice, http daemon
> sql (mysql, postgres, database, ...) - Database daemons like mysql
> proxy (squid, ?) - Proxyserver
> news (ins, ..) - News daemon
> named (bind, djbdns, ..) - DNS service, bind daemon
> sshd (openssh) - special user for privilege separation
> lp (lpr, cups) - printer daemon
> irc (ircd) - irc server daemon
> snmp (net-snmp) - snmp daemons
> ..
>
> The uid of "nobody" should be 65534. (Important for nfs)

This is definately right. I noticed that nobody isn't 65534 too. However,
both httpd and sshd can easily use user nobody, so what is the need for
httpd and sshd? I think most people run apache as nobody and same can be
done for SSHD though I don't know if Per's pkgfile sets that option for
compile.

One thing I would add is to ask Per NOT to exclude VIPW. I don't know why he
did it, but vipw is the only proper way to edit a passwd file.