List:       crux
Subject:    Re: Samba + iptables problem
From:       Martin Opel <opel () rfhs8012 ! fh-regensburg ! de>
Date:       2002-07-02 6:36:30

On Sun, 30 Jun 2002, Mikael Bak wrote:

> Hi,

Hi Mikael,

> I have installed Crux (i586 version) on a machine that has to do the
> following tasks:
> Samba (file/print shares)
> DHCP server
> ISDN router (FrizCard PCI)
> Firewall (iptables)
> DNS proxy

DNS Proxy ??

> I have istalled everything and it works fine except for one small detail.
> Sometimes when I use MS-network resources (like browsing the network
> neighbourhood) from an inside Windows machine, the Crux machine dials out
> and makes a connection to the Insternet.
> This is bad, because the telephone fees in Hungary is still very high, and I
> only want to make connection to the Internet when needed.
>
> It seems like either my firewall script or my Samba configuration is bad.
> I'd really appreciate some help.

You give your clients *real* DNS servers (DHCP)

  option domain-name-servers 195.38.96.20, 195.38.97.1;

If you run a DNS-Proxy on your server, they have to use this machine. The
server should forward the DNS requests to 195.38.96.20 and 97.1

Or is it a transparent proxy? Then your masq script should catch the DNS
calls out and route them to your server.

> My config files are here:
> http://miba.fxnet.hu/crux/settings/
>
> TIA,
> Mikael Bak

Regards
Martin Opel

--
     martin opel <martin.opel@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
       fachhochschule regensburg, fachbereich informatik