List:       crux
Subject:    Re: Would like new functionality in ports.
From:       Johannes Winkelmann <jw () tks6 ! net>
Date:       2002-06-24 19:04:06

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 14:05:49 +0200, Magnus Boden wrote:
> Hello,
[...]
> This prt-get sound nice, are you aming for it being included in crux?
Well I will submit it to unofficial as soon as I think it's a bit more
stable. This basically means when I didn't add another command for a day
or so :-) But of course you can get it already at:
  http://www.hta-bi.bfh.ch/~winkj/files/crux/prt-get.prt.tar.gz
Wishes and/or bug reports are welcome :-). Testing and feedback surely
helps to shorten the time until it gets stable. As always, I'm lacking
the time to write proper docs, but for now prt-get help should allow a
quick start (or just bug cptn on the crux IRC channel, or mail me).
Expect a dedicated mail to this list this week or the next , when I
have some better docs written.

> Yes you will.
> This happens with stock ports -d
> Collection       Name      Port       Installed
> contrib/gkrellm
> packages         gkrellm   1.2.12-1   1.2.11-1
>
> not very nice, but with my patch it looks like this
>
> Collection  Name      Port       Installed
> contrib     gkrellm   1.2.12-1   1.2.11-1
> packages    gkrellm   1.2.12-1   1.2.11-1
>
> I like it to show both packages since if I have my own custom build of
> gkrellm for example I can see when the contrib/gkrellm is updated and
> thus I don't have to keep to close track of the gkrellm website for
> new releases.
OK, this is actually a good argument. prt-get has a command to list
duplicate ports, this could be extended to show the version number as
well. Like this, you had one command to do one job, checking whether
there is still a difference between the two ports.
For the simple checking of installed version vs version in the ports
tree, prt-get diff does the trick, using the first port is finds in it's
list of port directories so look in (and therefore not showing
duplicates :-) implemented right before)

Regards, Johannes