List:       courier-users
Subject:    Re: [courier-users] 550 Error: No multihop relaying . . .
From:       Gordon Messmer <yinyang () eburg ! com>
Date:       2004-03-11 7:43:09

Jason Flatt wrote:
> Last Friday a client of mine started getting the error message in the subject
> for all out-bound e-mails.  All in-bound e-mail works fine and all
> inter-office e-mail works fine, but when anyone tries to send any thing out
> of the office, they get the error.  As a temporary fix, I changed all the
> SMTP server settings on all the workstations to go straight to the ISP rather
> than using the internal Courier mail server, and that seems to be working.

Sounds like you're using your ISP's mail server as the default
destination in your smtproutes, and your ISP has instituted a policy
against accepting mail from anything but a mail client.  They probably
refuse to relay any message that already has a Received header.

I'd imagine that they're doing this because users on your network have
open relays, and your ISP is trying not to be the output end of a
multi-hop open relay.

Not sure there's a good answer for you... Call your ISP and work it out.