List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    [quanta-devel] Quanta+ for KDE 4 - GSOC
From:       Milian Wolff <mail () milianw ! de>
Date:       2010-02-21 10:38:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hey all!

If you don't know me: I'm one of the KDevelop 4 hackers whipping up PHP
support, Snippets and the GenericManager among other things.

I've been contributing for about a year now and this time I finally want to
apply for GSOC. My idea is it to revive the Quanta+ product and ship something
useable for webdevelopers. I want to concentrate on:

- polish Quanta+ to bring it up to par to KDevelop
- remove obsolete cruft and unfinished code to playground and instead
concentrate on polishing the plugins we have for KDevplatform
- remove KDE 3 code (the deprecated stuff)
- introduce some kind of HTML support based on the KDevplatform framework

At the beginning I'd probably move most of the Quanta code to playground as
it's outdated and not integrated into the KDevplatform. Then I'd put in the
gems from playground/extragear that are useful for web development: PHP, CSS,
XDebug, ExecuteScript, CrossFire, XML, Upload, ...

Additionally there are parts in the KDevplatform that would need work, among
others I'd like to hide some actions in Quanta that are useful for compiled
languages (most / all of the build process) and change the default set of
toolviews to the needs of a webdeveloper.

This way me and Niko think that one could get to the point where Quanta would
be a useful product again. Some parts would actually be better than anything
else it ever had, esp. the PHP support. Other areas though will lack or die in
the process, and this is also something I'd like to have your feedback on:

What Quanta+3 Feature are you relying on?

I personally never used the inline HTML-preview. Imo WYSIWYG is not applicable
to webdevelopers, it simply messes up to much and is too unreliable. Hence I'd
drop it. Users that quickly want to have a website without the need to know
HTML should not use an editor at all. They should get a Wordpress account or
similar and be done with it.

Also stuff like the custom toolbars are something I'd like to remove. Instead
one should use snippets, Kate scripts, ... I actually did create some actions
back when I used Quanta3 but never once it was an action important enough to
be shown in a toolbar.

So what do you think? May I proceed and try to create a useful Quanta+ for KDE
4?

Have a nice day
--
Milian Wolff