List:       ubuntu-devel-discuss
Subject:    Target kernel for bionic?
From:       J Fernyhough <j.fernyhough () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-10-30 22:09:31

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

[Attachment #4 (multipart/mixed)]

Has there been any discussion or decision made on the target kernel for
bionic?

If not, can I request that consideration is given to the 4.14 LTS
kernel, matching the use of 4.4 in xenial, rather than the non-LTS 3.13
in trusty?

While it will likely be several point-releases old/mature by the time
bionic is released, 4.14 will (I believe) be supported for six years (so
should last the full life of bionic).

Keeping kernels relatively close to mainline helps in any number of
ways, not least with backporting new upstream developments (e.g.
WireGuard).