List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Installing on Ubuntu 11.10 KDE Plasma 4.7.1
From:       john Culleton <John () wexfordpress ! com>
Date:       2011-11-25 20:50:29

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 18:58:54 +0100
Niko Sams <niko.sams@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 17:27, Bruno Baumg=E4rtner
> <bruno13@scotnet.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hi Tom
> >
> > I changed to Blue Griffon (downloads here:
> > http://http://bluegriffon.org/). This new program has HTML5 and
> > CSS3 included. Maybe you will give it a try?
> >
> > I think it is a travesty, that Quanta is not developped any longer.
> > But obviously renewelling grafics and appearances every 6 month is
> > more important than maintainig useful applications. I can not
> > understand the KDE-Team for this decision.
> Quanta is (or better was) an community developed Open Souce Project.
> The maintainers
> and developers of Quanta 3 stopped contributing and sadly noone was
> found who would continue. This was defenitely not a "decision" by a
> "KDE-Team". The plan was to create Quanta4 on the same base as
> KDevelop4 - as both are IDEs. The good thing: some work was done.
> There is eg. a stable php language support plugin for KDevplatform
> (works with KDevelop4 and Quanta4). Many other plugins exist like
> ruby, css, html/xml, xdebug etc. but none of those had a stable
> release.
> =

> for more information read this:
> http://milianw.de/blog/quanta-gsoc-midterm-evaluation
> =

> Niko

t looks like they bit off more than they can chew. Note that in
the post written 07/08/2010 the author "hopes" to have something
done "next year at latest". "Next year" was 2011 and it is almost over. I w=
ish
the author had listened to the users and simply ported Quanta to
KDE4/Qt4 as is. Then features could be added. Programmers (I was
one decades ago tend to get carried away with the technology and
forget aobut the mission. =

I went to the bluegriffon site but unfortunately the simplest
version of the program, a tarball of the source, is not
available. I use Slackware and I am capable to unzip, untar,
./configure, make and make install. I have written to Bluegriffon
honcho and asked for such a tarball. I tried the rpm version but
it asked for libraries that I already have. =

Does Bluegriffon ahve the equivalent of the VPL editor included
in Quanta 3.5?

-- =

John Culleton
Free list of books for self-publishers: