List:       quanta
Subject:    [Quanta] Re: Quanta 4
From:       Robert Marmorstein <robert () narnia ! homeunix ! com>
Date:       2011-04-03 23:30:30

Quoting Milian Wolff <mail@milianw.de>:

> I doubt that. KDevplatform makes much things far easier. The big problem is
> lack of manpower.

I am sure that to an established developer who has experience with the
code base, this seems true.  However, the move to kdevplatform
introduced several layers of abstraction and a modular architecture
that I personally find much more difficult to understand than the
kdewebdev codebase from 3.5.10.  Perhaps this is really due more to
lack of good API documentation -- when I click on the API
documentation links on techbase, I get broken links.

> true. and as I said before: I'd like to see contributed templates in
> kapptemplate format.

I will clean these up and put them on reviewboard.

> true. again, lack of manpower and time to improve this situation. though

I have limited time, but will try to help out.  Maybe I can get some
of my students interested in joining the project, too.

> "executing" and "debugging" is still needed even for web apps. the
> former will
> open your favorite browser, the latter e.g. use xdebug for PHP debugging.

I see.  This seems unintuitive to me -- will a user know that
"execute" really means "preview in browser"?  It would also be nice if
the "debug" button could be hidden or disabled except when working on
files for which it is relevant (such as PHP/Python/Ruby scripts).

> I don't understand? irrelevant web components? kdevplatform is 100% plugin
> based.

Sorry.  I meant to say "GUI components".  I guess my difficulty is
just in figuring out which plugins do what.  Given enough time, I will
figure it out, though.

> I'd greatly appreciate help and will of course answer your questions.

Thanks so much for your help.  Hopefully, working together, we can at
least get Quanta up to feature parity with Quanta 3 and get things to
the place where other developers join in and move things along.