List:       quanta
Subject:    [Quanta] Re: Quanta 4
From:       Milian Wolff <mail () milianw ! de>
Date:       2011-04-03 10:55:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Robert Marmorstein, 03.04.2011:
> There was a decision a few years ago to port Quanta to the same
> codebase as kdevelop.  The common code would be called "kdevplatform".
>   I am not sure this was a wise decision -- what has happened since
> then seems to be that development on Quanta has more or less stalled.
> I think a large part of that is the increased complexity of the
> codebase since the move to kdevplatform.

I doubt that. KDevplatform makes much things far easier. The big problem is
lack of manpower.

> There were good reasons for that decision, though.  If the port can be
> completed, the (much more active) developer base of kdevelop will
> automatically mean that Quanta gets important improvements and fixes.
>
> I have tried using Quanta 4, but I feel that there are two significant
> issues that make it unsuitable as a production web development
> environment: no templates for web projects and no customization of the
> user interface when run in "Quanta" mode.

true. and as I said before: I'd like to see contributed templates in
kapptemplate format.

> The template problem is a critical one, because if I go to "project
> new" all I see are "C++" and so forth projects.  There is no way to
> get a template for a basic web project.  So I started hacking on this
> earlier this week and created a few simple templates in my local git
> repository that you can use to start a single page XHTML site.  They
> aren't much, but they're a start.  What is the review process for
> getting these submitted?  Does quanta use reviewboard?  Or can I open
> up a "merge request" somehow?

reviewboard please, or just send them as patches to this list.

> The second problem is much harder to solve.  When I am developing a
> web application, I don't need to "compile" or "execute" the program --
> I need to preview it in a web browser.  Right now, the UI is very much
> geared toward C++ projects.

true. again, lack of manpower and time to improve this situation. though
"executing" and "debugging" is still needed even for web apps. the former will
open your favorite browser, the latter e.g. use xdebug for PHP debugging.

> Figuring out how to remove the irrelevant web components and pull in
> the right ones is a much more difficult proposition than writing new
> templates.  What code should I be looking at to solve this one?  Is
> there a nice plugin-based architecture for this?  Do I need to write a
> new "projectmanager" or an "outputview"?  Or is it more complicated
> than that?

I don't understand? irrelevant web components? kdevplatform is 100% plugin
based.

> I don't have a lot of time to hack on this -- the small amount of
> "free" time I have, I would like to spend on koffice/Calligra (fixing
> variable support), but I would LOVE to see a KDE 4 application that
> was roughly comparable to the old Quanta 3 and I'm willing to invest a
> little time to at least get the project started again if that's
> possible.

I'd greatly appreciate help and will of course answer your questions.

bye

> Quoting "Michael J. Hartwick" <hartwick@hartwick.com>:
> > I can get Quanta 3.5 to run, but what I cannot get running is things like
> > integrated Cervisia. I will try the alpha version for Quanta 4 and see if
> > I can even get it to start. I used to be able to at least read and write
> > C++ but it has been a while so not sure how much I will have forgotten.
> >
> > Michael

> > Michael J. Hartwick, VE3SLQ                      hartwick@hartwick.com
> > Hartwick Communications Consulting                      (519) 396-7719
> > Kincardine, ON, CA                             http://www.hartwick.com

Milian Wolff
mail@milianw.de
http://milianw.de