List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Nature...
From:       Billie Erin Walsh <bilwalsh () swbell ! net>
Date:       2009-11-01 14:11:34

John wrote:
> On Sunday 01 November 2009 01:16:00 Paul Lemmons wrote:
>
>> "In Nature anything that stand still gets eaten"
>>
>> I am afraid that if Quanta does not start at least walking it will get
>> eaten by Kdevelop+Perl -Plug-in, Eclipse+PDT or some other more active
>> and livelier projects and lose what user base it has left. I love Quanta
>> but I am not willing to "stand still" in KDE3 for it. Today, with
>> sadness I installed Eclipse.  I don't like it as well but it does work
>> and it is moving forward.
>>
>> I really appreciate all that Eric , Andras and other have done. I
>> recognize their personal sacrifice of money, time, effort and energy. I
>> have used Quanta for many years and have financially supported the
>> development. It now appears to have but a single developer (Eric) and
>> his attention is elsewhere(kommander)...
>>
>> ... I can hear the brush rustling... it sounds hungry... now would be a
>> good time to take some action...
>>

> Been using using Quanta on Kubuntu with KDE4 for over a month now, no problems
> yet. In fact to date it seems to have been more stable than before and I will
> definitely be sticking with it.
>
> KDE4 was a bit of a shock, but have got use to it now and am probably finding
> myself more productive. It does need a system with a bit more grunt.
>
> Long live Quanta!
>
> John

Kubuntu 9.10/KDE 4.3.2/Quanta 3.5.

Since 4.x Quanta doesn't use the KDE4.x plugins very well. Cervisia
stopped working pretty much right off the bat. Now it says Kimagemap
won't work. [ haven't tried it to be sure ] Last night spell check
wouldn't work. And something else I'm to lazy to look up. Other than
those things it works great. If you don't need any of those things you
have no problems.

It seems that the newer versions of those apps/plugins won't work with
the older version of Quanta. I'm not sure if it's a matter of can't find
them [ not in the place they were put in 3.x ], or just an
incompatibility issue. It seems that a while back on some list someone
said to install the 3.x versions of the missing plugins and all would
work well. Don't know, never tried it. Someone recently suggested
symlinks. Even after reading the article on symlinks I have no clue and
"man" pages are generally a joke for a non-geek like me. I need detailed
instructions in simple, preferably single syllable, words.*<]:oD

I've been writing my personal web pages since DOS 4 days. In those days
we didn't have such fancy editors. When I make a page in Quanta I still
use the text screen [ I just like the convenience of all those nice
shiny buttons ]. I can't figure out how to make one in graphical modes.
Of all the methods I've used over the years Quanta is probably the best
one I've ever found [ I haven't ever spent the huge sums necessary to
buy some of the higher end editors ]. Bottom line, I love Quanta and
_REALLY_ look forward to it getting "fixed".

Having said that, here's my wish/bitch list:

Maybe not so helpful. When I start typing a tag it pops open a box of
options. I usually have in my head what I want. Could do without that.
Haven't found where to turn that off. I like the right-click option to
edit current tag. Thats real handy.

I love the tag autocompletion. Just sometimes it's a pain. If I have
some text I want the tag to enclose for instance. And on that subject,
highlighting the text and clicking on a tag doesn't enclose the
highlighted text. KompoZer and most other do it, but not Quanta.

Headers. When I took over that genealogical web site none of the pages
had doctype and a few other things. KompoZer and most other editors will
automatically add whatever you select as the default. Quanta will
_once_in_ a _while_ but not very often. It would be nice if Quanta also
put that type information in on new pages also.

Custom tags. If you have a lot of "special" tags/scripts that you use
all the time a better system for making buttons for those would be good.
My custom tool bar won't stick and the buttons won't work 99.9% percent
of the time. I gave up trying to fix it. More trouble than typing them in.

--
Treat all stressful situations like a dog does.
If you can't eat it or play with it,

Sent with Thunderbird on my Kubuntu Linux Desktop