List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta & KDE4? openSuSE dumping KDE3 for 11.2 Release.
From:       "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty () suddenlinkmail ! com>
Date:       2009-04-19 17:52:35

Ian Smith wrote:
> Jens, I think you misunderstood David's point - he is talking about
> opensuse 11.2, which presumably won't include kdebase3-runtime, or any
> other part of KDE3 for that matter.
>
> Actually, if you compare the proposed timing of the 11.2 release with
> recent postings by Eric on this list, Quanta 4 could be ready for
> release by the same time.
>
> Having said that, I am surprised and disappointed by the lack of support
> Quanta gets from the larger FOSS community. I would think that the sort
> of people that do web design would be just the sort of people that are
> likely to experiment with GNU/Linux BSD and so forth.
>
> However without a decent WYSIWYG *and* text development environment
> (with all due respect to Bluefish, NVU et al, they are all lacking on at
> least one side of that), then it is going to be very difficult to get
> those people to forsake their beloved Dreamweaver!
>
> Anyway, I'm sure I'm just preaching to the choir here. Thanks David for
> reminding me, I promised a while ago to start lobbying for better
> support in other forums.
>
> Perhaps the way forward would be to set up a partition or virtual
> machine with opensuse 11.2 beta (or other distros that are abandoning
> KDE3), try installing quanta in that, and, as David suggests, start
> filing bug reports.
>
> Cheers
> Ian

Ian,

	Thanks. I am trying to lobby this as well as I can. There has been quite a bit
of talk about the quanta issue on the opensuse-factory (beta) list in the past,
but no answers yet. They are well aware of the problem, but I get the
impressions that just getting KDE4 to run in a stable way has taken 100% of
their resources, that everything else has been dropped. Nothing is getting much
attention except that.

	There is no replacement for Quanta. Especially if you have any type of
programming background, and to not have it get the attention it deserves by
virtue of all resources being drained chasing the false promise of kde4
nirvana, is just pitiful. Oh well, we'll keep up the pressure from out side, if
anyone else can post a message or two on your distos list, it just might make
the difference.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC