List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] initial assistance please [ offer of help... ]
From:       Eric Laffoon <eric () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2009-04-02 2:21:57

On Wednesday 01 April 2009 08:40:50 am Niko Sams wrote:
> You want to help with Quanta4?
> Cool :D
And I should point out that Andras and I aren't doing things by ourselves. We
talk about what we want to do when we get time. Niko deserves a nod for
actually getting some code written with sadly not much input from me.
Hopefully I will mange time to connect more soon.

As for others... I got into this project because I complained about the 0.8x
release. Soon I was helping with design specifications. I was not a "real"
programmer, as in I had not done compiled languages. After running the program
and looking at lots of C++ I actually did contribute a little code to Quanta
and quite a bit to Kommander. Kommander seemed more an easy entry point to me,
but also I was beginning to use it a lot, as my recent 10K+ lines of code
shows.

Somewhere a while back a guy started asking questions about helping. He didn't
seem to know much about programming, but he was a nice guy. Andras and I
answered his questions. Several months later I saw he was making commits on
Quanta 4. He defied the odds! Then I got to meet him in Belgium. That would be
Niko. I have a great deal of respect for Niko because he decided he wanted to
do something that was not within his realm of experience and then he found a
way to do it. That describes pretty much every person who ever did anything
that caused others to take note.

When you express your personal view of your limitations or ponder who might
scratch your itches and meet your needs never discount reality.
1) No programmer was born speaking in code.
2) Your current skill sets are hardly static as you weren't born making web
pages.
3) Proficiency is always relative to practice. We don't like feeling
inadequate where we are not proficient, but if we allow that thinking to hold
sway we limit ourselves to narrow possibilities.
4) Fulfillment comes through accomplishment, happiness is the resolution of
desire in struggle and giving truly is more validating and rewarding that
receiving.

On the other hand nothing is more frustrating than waiting for something to be
handed to you. ;-)

It's surprising how much fun it is to learn and do new things. When people
tell me they can't do what I do I practice actively not listening. I also was
not able to do what I presently can do. I really hope next month I can do
things I can't do today. I never want to stop learning and especially I never
want to believe expressions of self limitation when I hear them. You can do
whatever you want to. Don't let anybody tell you differently.

BTW for those people thinking this is only for younger guys I just had my 52nd
birthday a few days ago. Hint: If you don't want your brain to get old stretch
it, then make it work. ;-)
--
Eric Laffoon
kdewebdev project founder