List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta internal development information
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-07-27 19:32:30

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi all,

 shame on me, I can say. My unread mails just grew and grew and I missed
this until now. I'm really sorry. (And thanks to Jens who drove my
attention to it.)

On Tuesday 15 July 2008, Eric Laffoon wrote:
> Hi all,
> I feel I should do an update on various things happening with Quanta.
> I discussed it with Andras and I guess he did a blog which probably
> most people didn't read.

Well yes, probably. Or I wasn't clear enough. :(

> Early this year Andras was feeling stress from my being behind and
> from the falling dollar, as well as financial concerns at home.

I have to say here that I was never ever angry on Eric or such. I always
knew his situation and trusted him. So do I now. It just that my life
was also changed, the financial situation did not help the cause, and
well, I had to secure my an not only my future. This was a hard choice,
as it was not a simple job that you give up and go find a new one, but
there was a friendship, a community and an idea behind it.

> several times what I could presently pay him. He is now doing
> contract programming for another developer on Qt.

It is not secret, I can say that I'm working for KDAB, together with
many other KDE developers that I admir of. Unfortunately KDAB right now
does not sponsor Quanta development (it does sponsor other developers to
work on KDE projects, like kdepim). Maybe we should push Quanta into
kdepim. ;)

> This year I did quite a bit of programming on Kommander and Andras
> helped. He also got some important ground work done on Quanta.
> Unfortunately as I expected there were some delays with using the
> KDevelop platform.

Many things went less than ideal with this KDE4 port. The long time for
getting a KDE 4.0.0 out, the even longer time for KDevelop is one
factor. The fact that I remained the only developer for Quanta (3.5.x
series and trunk) and Kommander was another one. And I admit that in
many case I lost my motivation.

> Nonetheless I'm confident it will prove extremely
> valuable. Andras is also considering helping to sponsor a new
> developer.

That's very true. :) I know what I got from the community. If I can give
back something, I will do so.

Regarding coding, well, finding free time between my new job, my family
and other problems proved to be hard. :( I was working last time on
Quanta during the KDevelop conference. I will attend aKademy and will
work on Quanta there as well. I hope we will see some good progress,
although I know that the final 4 version is still quite far away. What we
would really need is developers. More than ever.
 I know this is a user list, but spread the word. Maybe writing an IDE
is not as sexy job as writing a graphics app, but I can say to you that
it was in many cases fun. And seeing that users are happy with your work
is what is very important. Sometimes they are pissed of too, but luckily
that wasn't the usual case in

Thank again for Eric and thanks for the previous community support.

Andras