List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] How to make a web site?
From:       Eric Laffoon <eric () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2008-04-30 17:16:21

On Wednesday 30 April 2008 9:43:49 am orphem@arcor.de wrote:
> Eric Laffoon schrieb:
> > On Wednesday 30 April 2008 8:28:45 am orphem@arcor.de wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm new to Quanta+ and so I have many, many questions. Quanta+ have
> >> docs, yes. But I haven't found any tutorial. So I need some tips, how to
> >> made a web site with this tool.
> >
> > There are hundreds of ways, so we don't want to get into exploring them
> > all here. We have another list just for that, our web developer list.
> > Look on the web site.
>
> Oh fine. On my sketchy view I have seen only the developers list.

This is the users list, but it's for using Quanta, not general HTML.

> >> Normally we have PHP and a CMS. Here we include some pages and a menu
> >> were added automatically. But I want to make this off line. In the past
> >> I made web pages with web meta language. With this tool you have
> >> manuscripts. The real pages were *compiled* with a menu and other
> >> thinks.
> >
> > So in other words it hid what it was doing from you and made you
> > dependent on it? You could certainly integrate Quanta into any number of
> > scenarios but in my experience what you're talking about is not compiled,
> > it is generated. Generated pages tend to ask for cookies multiple times
> > and not create W3C compliant markup, which means you go down in search
> > engines.
>
> Sorry. Maybe it's a matter of my bad english. A compiler *generates*
> also a binary. That's, what I mean. Look at thewml.org and you see, what
> I have in mind.

Interesting... Technically HTML is markup, not compiled, but this looks like
it may be compiling and generating HTML on the fly...

It would not be a problem integrating WML with Quanta, it's just that you're
looking at something that requires some setup. Ironically KDevelop might be
better suited, but it's hardly a novice environment.

> And no, I won't like to have cookies for a simple menu.
>
> >> If I have - for example - a index.xhtml and a history.xhtml and wants a
> >> menu for this and other pages. How do I do this with Quanta?
> >
> > You can use templates and scripting. Any files you have that work can be
> > made into templates easily and you might find my Kommander TemplateMagic
> > interesting. It enables you to create and fill in fields in templates.
>
> Yeah, this seems to me very interesting. Any tutorial for this avaible?

See docs and examples. Templates are nothing more than files with some
features in the directory and Quanta to make it easy to integrate.

> > http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Quanta+TemplateMagic?content=757
> >59
>
> Ogh, looks complicated.

It has it's own help. For instance
<h1><[title]></h1>
will offer a field to give a value to go into the page.

> >> I like to have the link for the actual page inactive, but highlighted.
> >> And if i add a contact.xhtml, how can I have this link in the other
> >> pages automatically included? And is this possible without javascript?
> >
> > If you use PHP you can easily do something like...
> > <?php include("menu.html") ?>
>
> That may be still for every page the same menu. And I still must edit
> this menu.html for each new page.

On probably most sites developers like to have enough control to specify what
goes on a menu. For instance I have over half a dozen menus on my business
site and if it gathered every page and put it in a menu people could try to
enter at the credit card page, which in fact I have detecting fraudulent
entry. I could make a site automatically list pages, but I prefer to only
automatically list from a database.

> > and now you make the menu once and by including it in every page they are
> > all automatically up to date.
>
> A the system, for which I made this web site, is PHP not avaible. :-(

PHP runs most of the web. You can do the same things and more with Perl, but
it's not quite as friendly.

> Greetings
> Andreas

If you are set on using WML then the level of support for it would be
dependent on what you or other WML users did. We allocate resources to code
the base application, but we continue to make it very extensible and help
anyone wanting to work on extending it.

--
Eric Laffoon
Project Lead - kdewebdev module